Stannard Rock Lighthouse

The rock here was named for Captain Charles C. Stannard who in 1835 discovered a dangerous reef more than a mile long off the coast of northern Marquette County. A day beacon was activated in 1868 when the Soo Locks opened. Construction of a permanent light began in 1877 and was finished in 1882.

On shoal at end of reef, 45 mi. N. of Marquette, mid-lake Superior.
Latitude: 47.1834
Longitude: -87.225